The Institute's Program Goals include:
- To advance the basic understanding about the structure, function, and temporal development of ecological systems.
- To provide knowledge needed for the solution of environmental problems.
- To develop an understanding of how people learn about the processes of science, and about ecological concepts.
- To enhance the general understanding of ecology by students, policy makers, and the general public.
- To train a new generation of ecologists capable of addressing and solving complex environmental problems important to human societies.